Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ten Years, One Good Lesson

Well, I guess now that the rest of my family is blogging I'm gonna try and get on board. I'm not very good about picture taking and journaling but I guess with a new addition to the family on the way I better get some practice.

Anyway, I want to share some thoughts that have been raging through my head the last couple months. As I come up on ten years next week since graduating from high school (yep I'm getting old) it seems like it's been so much longer and just yesterday all at the same time. You know how people say one day you just wake up and suddenly feel old, gain weight inexplicably and talk about "those kids?" They're right. Things don't heal as fast, sleep is harder to come by and the baby's not even here yet!

What I really want to share though is the most important thing I have learned in these last ten years. It's why the title of my blog is "Plan To Be Surprised." When I left for that first semester of college I had everything planned out in my mind. My major, timelines, future after college, everything. It took all of about a month for every bit of it to get blown to shreds. It took about seven years to figure out what my problem was. We all have well intentioned plans and ideas for our lives, we have to. It's ridiculous to just sit back and think things will just happen. We have to plan and we have to work to accomplish those things. However, the one thing we have to plan for at all times is to BE SURPRISED!

Guess what, things don't typically work out exactly how we plan. What it took me so long to realize is that God has things in store for me that I never even imagined. When I finally took a step back and looked at what I was doing I realized something. I'm a control freak! Now, make sure you understand what I mean by that. I'm not one of those Type A personalities who runs over everything in their path to get their way. When it came to what I was doing with my life though I was in total control of me. Turns out, I'm not very good at that. I was trying to make myself happy with all the wrong things.

The funniest part of all though...

God has continued to bless me throughout all of it.

As I look ahead to the next ten years I see so many things I want to happen. There are countless parts of life to plan for and it's necessary and good to do that. I mean come on, show me one person who hasn't freaked out a little bit when they find out they're having a baby! Now though, while I plan for my family's future, the one thing I absolutely know will happen is life will smack me in the face, throw me hard breaking curves and probably at times beat the livin' mess out of me. I can't wait to see what happens. God has blessed me with a wife who is better than I deserve, a family who loves and supports me and the ability to get up every day and have a fresh start. Through everything that comes our way God will continue to provide and the one thing I am planning for through it all is to be surprised!

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Ryan,
I may have been the first one to read your blog. It's probably because I have no life and check Facebook compulsively. Nonetheless, I really appreciate what you wrote. At a time in life when Kyle and I have no clue what our next step is in life, it's good to be reminded who's in charge. There are going to be surprises along the way and the plans we make are not always going to happen, I know that. It's easy to forget sometimes and we often need friends to remind us. Kyle and I count you and Amy as wonderful blessings in our lives and we are so excited about baby Chamblee and this new adventure your lives.
Love you guys!

Three Scobeys said...

Wow, if I had known you were an AMAZINGLY talented writer I would have had you do my blog :) Honestly, though, those were beautiful words. Miss you both and love you both!

Anonymous said...

Ryan and Amy,

We are so excited for you all! We will be praying for a continued happy and healthy pregnancy for the next few months then a great delivery.

Once you are a parent, you'll never be the same. Yes, that sounds so old fashioned and something I said I would never say, but its so true. Parent-hood is an awesome and moving adventure and ya'll are going to do great and love it!

Love the new blog! Stay in touch!

~Meghan~
www.thetuckerfam.com

Anonymous said...

Glad you are blogging! Congratulations on your baby-on-the-way! So happy for you!!!

Stacy said...

Hey Ryan! I found you on facebook, then I saw you had a blog...I much prefer blogs!! :) Anyways...it's good to read that everything is going so great for you now! Congratulations to you and your (very pretty and sweet looking) wife on the new baby!!